Found on the cerulean waters of the southern Aegean Sea, Santorini, known classically as Thera, is the largest island of an archipelago borne from a violently volcanic past. What is seen today belies its past with peaceful towns, distinctive architecture and warm local hospitality greeting every visitor.
Luxury Holidays in Santorini
Kenwood Travel has more than 40 years' experience in delivering its customers unforgettable holidays to some of the most luxurious properties on the planet. No matter what your idea of a Santorini holiday is, we can tailor your perfect escape.
Great reasons to visit Santorini
- The scenery – Santorini rises imperiously from the sapphire waters of the Aegean Sea with cliffs measuring more than 300 metres high dominating any boat's approach to the island. Santorini's beauty is only enhanced by the whitewashed buildings that reflect the sun quite spectacularly.
- History – There are many tours and excursions that will show you the intriguing, and often beautiful, relics of the past dotted about the island.
- Beaches – Santorini is home to some remarkable beaches boasting white sands, cobalt waters and a plenty of space to unwind.
- Food – On this island you'll find a huge range of Greek delicacies that are masterfully created at a wide selection of premium restaurants.
Things to do in Santorini
No trip to Santorini would be complete without a trip to ancient Akrotori. This Minoan city was buried deep underground until archaeologists unearthed it during a 1967 series of excavations. Now you can wander through various parts of the city, take a look inside some of the three storey buildings that have been immaculately preserved, and see huge collections of pottery.
You can opt to take in some culture at the awe inspiring Art Space where wine cellars have been expertly converted into an absorbing gallery experience. The gallery still embraces wine-making so be sure to try out some of the sumptuous vintages still produced on the grounds.
Although the trek down and then up the 300 stairs is fairly arduous, the picturesque Ammoudi port is well worth a visit. This small harbour is home to bobbing fishing boats and offers good views of the surrounding cliffs.
Weather in Santorini
Santorini is one of the few locations in Europe with a desert climate, as such expect high temperatures year round that cool in the evenings.
Facts about Santorini
- Population – 15,550
- Area – 440 square miles
- Currency - Euro
- Time zone - UTC + 2
- The island was the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history.
- It is thought that a giant tsunami caused by a Santorini volcano devastated nearby Crete, some believe this to be the source of the legend of Atlantis.
Santorini Holidays 2022 / 2023
At Kenwood Travel we pride ourselves in providing bespoke holidays that make our customers' dreams come true. Be sure to get yourself the best possible price by booking your dates for Santorini 2022 early. Speak to one of our friendly advisors and discover the magnificent island of Santorini today.